Write to us! These addresses are now for their individual mission homes and will be the addresses we will be using from now on...I think.

Sister Brenna Dunlop
Brazil Belo Horizonte Mission
R. Sao Paulo, 1781, 10 Andar
Ed. 17 de Maio - Sala 1001
Lourdes
30170-132 Belo Horizonte - MG
Brazil

Elder Spencer Dunlop
Brazil Brasilia Mission
SHIN CA 05 Salas 304/307
LOTE B1
CEP: 71503-505 Brasilia - DF
Brazil

Note: I highly recommend using MissionTies.com or you can snail mail as well. You are welcome to become a subuser on our MissionTies account. See blog dated 11/17/10 for more information on that.

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Brenna's email - 6/22/11

Hello!!! Man, I am exhausted today! We have been working really hard! But it´s been paying off! At least I get an actual P-day today! Whoo hoo!!! Which means that since I haven´t had a ´´real´´ P-day in 2 weeks - I have a TON of letters to write! So.. anyways.... Where to begin?... Let´s see... The open house went really well! The members were really awesome at inviting people into the church and showing people around - it was really awesome! We got a lot of references - we´ve only visited 2 of them so far - but all 2 of them accepted a baptism date! So that´s pretty awesome! It was pretty fun being a ´´tour guide´´ of the church! I was thinking, wow, why don´t we do this at home? But then I realized that here - the church building is WAY different than other churches - but at home it isn´t TOO different - just different - here there are a TON of churches - probably at least 4 in every street - but the churches are in garages or little areas with one room and little plastic chairs set up - so going into one of our nice, organized churches is a bit different... Sunday, Roxanne got baptised!!! Whoo hoo!!! We have a a set of elders working in our ward too and they baptised a really awesome family - so that was great! 4 baptisms on Sunday! Vinicius didn´t get baptised - but we remarked his baptism for this week and he is really excited (he got scared because he smoked half of a cigarrette on Saturday...) It is really interesting how the spirit speaks to me about these people because on Saturday we were supposed to have his baptismal interview - but we couldn´t find him! We went to his house - he wasn´t there - we went to his friend´s house - he wasn´t there - we went to the church - he wasn´t there... we said a prayer to be able to know what to do - and I had thought come into my head, I thought... ´´he smoked...´´ So it turns out that he was hiding from us... Happens... But I know that now he is excited - and it is NOT going to happen again! Man - Satan works hard against those people getting ready to be baptised! It´s obnoxious! Yesterday - we passed a car and I heard English! This little boy said, ´What the heck?! - and yes he actually said heck - and I thought, huh? - that was english! So we went and talked to them - turns out that there were 2 people that are from the US and they are living here to play soccer - and there was also a family visiting that is from Florida! That was neat - though it was really hard to speak english! Weird... Also the other day we met a family that lived in the US for 12 years - let me tell you - I am REALLY greatful for the gift of tongues! She lived there 12 years and she was still having a lot of trouble speaking english and she had a REALLY thick accent - also she had a hard time understanding us sometimes when we were speaking english! I´ve been here 7 months and I am understanding and teaching in a different language! Wow!... MAN am I greatful for autosave! I was writing my email and the power went out! So we had to go to a whole different place to finish my email! Ugh! Always something on the P-day... Oh well... Happy winter! Winter started yesterday - though you would never know it - because here in Venda Nova - it is HOT! Probably hotter here during the winter than it is normally there in the summer! Weird... We are teaching a LOT of people now! It is awesome! We are finding new people to teach almost every day - so that has been way fun! It is interesting how the Lord puts people in our path! I love teaching too! It is amazing! Though we do have 2 people that are SUPER hard to teach - so I am not liking that too much... These two people LOVE talking - they talk talk talk talk talk! So it is really hard to finish the lesson - also - they don´t always understand that well - they are old - so that could have something to do with it... One is really funny though - he always calls us ´´filhas´´ (daughters) - He is supposed to be baptised this Sunday - but I´m not sure if it´ll happen - he says he is not drinking - and he never seems drunk - but he always smells a little bit like alcohol... also - he has no way of getting to church by himself... so we´ll see... Oh! It was super weird! The other day - at church - there were two people sitting behind me - on is a girl that served a mission here - and she came back to live here - and she is really awesome! She brought one of her converts who was a little inactive - and so he was calling her ´´sister´´ - so every time he said that - I´d turn to look! Then - we were eating lunch at someone´s house and the daughter´s name was Brenda - so when they said her name - I´d turn to look - but they weren´t talking to me... My brain is confused I guess... Okay - so here is my cultural tidbit for you this week! It is super hard to get your license here! You have to wait until you are at least 18 years old - and then you have to take a test and if you pass the test you have to do driver´s ed and then you have to take another test! And then after all that you have to pay R$300 - just to get your liscense! You´d think after all that - people would be really good drivers... but... that is definitely not the case... Also - every morning there are people that ride around on bikes honking their horns - to sell bread! Me and my other companion - Sister Hunsaker - decided that we should do that - with a sign that says, ´´bread of life!´´ You think it´d work?... He he - anyways! I love you all!!! Have a fabulous week! Keep being awesome! Keep writing letters! And I´ll try to respond to a good chunk of the letters today...

-Love,
sister Dunlop

No comments:

Post a Comment